top of page


Long Beach Residents Empowered (LiBRE) has been working with community members and advocates to ensure families, seniors, and veterans who have been impacted by COVID-19 are not displaced from their homes during this crisis. Please check out the resources we've created in collaboration with our community partners below.

Screen Shot 2023-04-03 at 1.30_edited.jpg
Screen Shot 2023-06-27 at 2.20.16 PM.png
libre graphics.png

Use the rent calculator tool at to verify if a rent increase is legal. If you're facing rent debt or an eviction in California, you're also encouraged to visit

Section 8.101.030 of the Long Beach Municipal Code was amended December 17, 2020, to protect tenants from being harassed by landlords. Harassment includes: 


G. Take action to terminate any tenancy, including service of any notice to quit or other eviction notice or bring any action to recover possession of a rental housing unit, based upon facts which owner has no reasonable cause to believe to be true or upon a legal theory which is untenable under the facts known to the owner.


This is punishable by a $2000-$5000 fine if you take them to court. Read all the actions considered harassment here.

Contact Your Landlord - Email and mail the property management company or owner saying that the notice is invalid and you don't accept it. Here is a template that you can use. (link to letter)


Contact Your Local Representatives – Call AND email your elected officials at the City, County and State level to let them know what is happening. Snail mail is even better. Making them aware of the problem encourages them to take actions to stop it in a timely manner. The more people they hear from, the more likely they are to take action. 


Long Beach City Officials – It's most important to contact the council member who represents your district, but CC the Mayor and other council members to make sure they are aware of the problem. Here is a list of Long Beach City officials and their contact information. 


LA County Supervisor Janice Hahn – Contact Janice Hahn, who represents Long Beach, through her regional office (562) 256-1920 or emailing Brenda Caloca


Senator Lena Gonzales' Office –  contact Jacob O'Donnell who deals with housing at, and/or call (562) 256-7921


State Assembly Member Patrick O'Donnell (562) 429-0470,  

  1. Low-income tenants can call the Legal Aid Foundation of Los Angeles for legal assistance.

  2. Additional legal assistance and other resources for LA County can be found at

bottom of page